Tim Burton's Alice

Tim Burton is famed for his dark, whimsical movies with some beautiful fetish-inspired costumes. My personal favourite of his big movie list is the Gothic but naive Edward Scissorhands. I'm also quite looking forward to his new 'Alice in Wonderland' interpretation, which is due to be released in 2010. Expectations from the movie must be quite high - at least mine are, because a book so brilliantly written needs a brilliant movie.

It's fascinating how in Burton's movies costumes take almost the central position in every character creation. Just like some of the characters from Alice-to be:

Photobucket
Image by Google
Photobucket
Image by Google


Photobucket
Image by Google


Image by Google

The pictures hint at an elegant, richly textured fantasy world that honors Lewis Carroll’s 19th-century fairy tale while incorporating bits of Burton’s trademark weirdness (check the grimacing flowers in the pictures below).


Image by Disney


Image by Disney


Image by Disney


Image by Disney

The images are drawn from the world of Alice in Wonderland, as re-imagined by one of the world’s most visually arresting directors.


Image by Disney


Image by Disney


Image by Disney

4 comments:

bereweber said...

oh wonderful art
i do love Tim Burton's films and i love Lewis story of lost Alice, so i will make sure to watch this film, thank you for your recommendation!

Helen said...

I can't wait for Alice in Wonderland! I loce Tim Burton's work, I think his movies are just beautiful!

Lights in the Dusk said...

I like Tim Burton, but I'm not sure I like his vision of Alice judging from the images I've seen so far. It looks like there's too much Burton and not enough Carroll maybe; a bit like how his version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory didn't really capture the spirit of the original book by Roald Dahl. Only time will tell I suppose.

I would have preferred to see Terry Gilliam do Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I guess his film Tideland is already a kind of much more frightening modern-day version of it in some respects.

5orangepotatoes said...

Tim Burton + Johnny Depp + Helen Bonham Carter is my favorite combination. I can't wait for this film.

lisa