In Memory of J.D. Salinger...


Photobucket
Image via Google

This was one of my favourite books when I was a kid...

Updated: I think Holden exists in each of us in some way. A person who is lost, is looking for meaning, searching for oneself, for the truth and realizing that most things aren’t what they seem, wanting to be alone but feeling lonely, seeming to understand everything one day and then understanding that things are completely different and you don't know anything the next...

What do you think about this book?

'Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.'

Catcher In The Rye

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never read the Catcher In The Rye. I know it is famous, but for me it is mostly infamous as the book used to justify the murder of John Lennon.

Recently I heard it described as "a description of the day trip of a misanthropic bastard to New York".

So maybe I should read it...

[sorry, didn't mean to bum anybody out]


Cheers,
Kristian

Olga said...

Honestly, I didn't know about this.. But David Chapman did hold the book in his hands straight after he murdered John Lennon, moreover he claimed it explained his perspective.

I think you now need to be very open if you really want to read it, otherwise you might only find it to confirm your judgement..

Juana said...

Hi Olga! how are you? Must read that book! I confess I haven't read Salinger...
Right now, I am leaving for the weekly market, then the library shop to buy a book as a birthday present for our dramma teacher and ask for Salinger's book...and hoping to meet Molly...
big hugs
Ciao

Olga said...

I think little Holden exists in each of us in some way. A person who is lost, is looking for meaning, searching for oneself, for the truth and realizing that most things aren’t what they seem, wanting to be alone but feeling lonely, seeming to understand everything one day and then understanding that things are completely different and you don't know anything the next...

...I think I'm going to add this to the post.

Ticking stripes said...

Hi Olga - just discovered you though Floss. Love the sunset pictures below - I'll have to come back and go thorugh your old posts!
Wend

Nich said...

A brilliant book that I only finished reading for the first time about a month ago. I agree with what you say about the Holden Caulfield within each of us, the disillusionment and disappointment of growing up and growing old, discovering that things are not what they seem, and also the pointless wishing for the things that have been and gone. But also, on a positive note, the pleasure that can be taken in small things, like watching his kid sister Phoebe on the carousel.

Excellent post, brilliant picture :)

Seema Misra said...

I love the illustration ...